We are seeking Board Members At-Large.
For more than 40 years, The Pumphouse Theatre has been a home for Calgary’s emerging performing arts scene. In any given year more than a dozen companies will produce over 35 shows in the two theatres. We are committed not only to providing a high-quality venue for the arts but also to keeping that venue affordable for Calgary’s arts community. With your help we can continue to service our community!
The Pumphouse Theatres, one of Calgary’s leading performing arts venues for over 40 years, is seeking board members. This is a part-time commitment of 4 – 6 hours a month and 6 – 10 meetings a year.
The Pumphouse Theatre Society Board is composed of The Executive Committee consisting of The Officers of the Society which are the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer and up to 6 board members at large.
The Pumphouse Theatres Society is a leader in the professional arts community through the provision of affordable, professional quality rental facilities to Calgary’s performing arts companies.
As the highest leadership body of the organization and to satisfy its fiduciary duties, the board is responsible for:
- Determining the mission and purposes of the organization
- Strategic and organizational planning
- Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- Fundraising and resource development
- Approving, monitoring and promoting Pumphouse Theatre’s programs, services and membership
Each individual board member is expected to:
- Know the organization’s mission, policies, programs, and needs
- Follow the organization’s bylaws, policies, and board resolutions
- Sign an annual conflict-of-interest disclosure and update it during the year if necessary, as well as disclose
potential conflicts before meetings and actual conflicts during meetings
- Faithfully read and understand the organization’s financial statements
- Serve as active advocates and representatives of the organization
- Assist with identifying and securing financial resources and partnerships to advance our mission
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
- Participate fully in one or more committees
- Maintain confidentiality about all internal matters of The Pumphouse Theatres Society.
Ideal board members are:
- Self-directed. You work independently as well as in a team environment
- A strong communicator
- Passionate about Pumphouse Theatres Society values and able to see our organizations larger picture.
- Clear understanding of the role of governance, as dictated by our bylaws.
- Educated/Experienced in at least one of these areas:
- Fundraising and sponsor relationships
- Financial management in either for-profit or nonprofit sector. Accounting certifications an asset.
- Human resources
- Graphic design and digital media
- Volunteer co-ordination and community outreach
- Government relations
- AGLC and casino organization
- Facilities maintenance
- Theatrical production
Let us know why you would like to help the Pumphouse Theatres Society continue to be an essential part of the Calgary Community. To apply please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. These positions will be appointed at our AGM on December 14th, 2020.